Apple strudel recipe: the traditional German apfelstrudel
The Apple Strudel is a delicious dessert served hot, usually accompanied by cream. This recipe is very popular in Austria and Germany.
The apple strudel is a sweet that, because of its origins and ingredients, is perfect to prepare during a cold and rainy afternoon (or snow if it is the case ).
The main basis of this German dessert is apples, a fruit that has antioxidant and antibacterial properties for the human body.
To make this dish you also need a well-known dough. also as filo pasta which, to make your life easier, you can buy already prepared.
How to make traditional apple strudel (Apfelstrudel)
Ingredients (for 6-8 people)
- 3 large apples
- 1 lemon
- 50 grams of raisins
- 3 sheets of pasta/dough
- 75 g of almonds cut into slices
- 15 ml orange liqueur
- 250 g sugar
- 2 butter nuts
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Liquid vanilla, whipped cream or strawberries (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Put the raisins in a bowl with the orange liqueur and let them marinate until they soften. Remove the liquid.
- Now we start with the base ingredient: peel the apples and cut them into small dice and pour them into a bowl next to the sugar. Add the grated rind and lemon juice to this mixture. Remove this mixture and leave it there.
- The best of the apple strudel are the sheets of phyllo, (be careful they are very delicate). Put them on the smooth surface (do not put them in the oven tray yet). Paint with a brush dipped in melted butter each of the sheets that you will be placing one on top of the other. Once you have finished pour the almonds, raisins and apples that you had reserved in the bowl with the sugar and lemon.
- Roll the contents with the sharp blades making sure it fits in the shape of gypsy arm, that is, an elongated envelope. Now you just have to repaint with butter on top so that it browns well in the oven.
- Put the apple strudel in a baking dish for 30 minutes at 180 ° C.
- After this time remove it and sprinkle with cinnamon and icing sugar.
When serving the apple strudel accompany with whipped cream on top or on one side. You can also put a scoop of ice cream and heat some liquid vanilla and decorate the plate with it. Enjoy this German dessert!
Healthy apple strudel
The original recipe, published here, bears a lot of sugar, butter and wheat flour. If you rather want a light version of this delicious German dessert, you can try Miriam's recipe on her website tanagusto.es by clicking right in this text.
Apple strudel with puff pastry
If you prefer, you can make this delicious strudel with puff pastry, as explained in this post from recetasgratis.net.
Here is a video explanation of how the homemade apple strudel is prepared:
Other desserts that you may like:
- American apple pie
- Easy homemade cookies
We invite you to visit our recipe page for desserts and sweets in Comedera.Com. There's a bit of everything, so you're sure to find something for you.
By: J. López